Friday, November 13, 2009

Playlist, Book Club Pitas and Book Review

Let me begin by saying: Worst. Blogger. Ever! I haven't gotten to catch up on your lovely blog lives with book club last night, errands all day today and now i'm walking out the door to Athens with no laptop. Sunday is going to be mucho catch up!! One more thing: thanks for the great playlist ideas! I’m ready to listen/add! Here is the list I made – tres random of course:

Starts off slow…

Suddenly I see – KT Tunstall
Island in the Sun – Weezer
Suspicious Minds – Elvis

Gets FAST…

Right Round – Flo Rida
Untouched – Veronicas
Let’s Get Excited – Alesha
I’m Shipping To Boston – Dropkick Murphys
A-Punk – Vampire Weekend
Supermassive Black Hole – Muse
Rock Lobster – B 52’s
London Calling - Clash
You Keep Me Hangin’ on – The Supremes
Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana
Stronger – Kanye
Don’t Trust Me – 3OH!3
Sugar – Flo Rida
Drain You – Nirvana
The Way I Are – Timberland
Shut Up And Drive - Rihanna
Gimme More – Brit
Toxic – Brit
Jerk it Out – Caesars
Boston – Vampire Weekend
Lovestoned – JT
My Favorite Game – Cardigans

Book club was awesome! So good to see Dev, Mon and Stacy!! It's nice to catch up with the ladies during the week; who knew we would all grow up and get so busy on the weekends?! for snacks/dinner, I made 8 pita pizzas:

The Spread....


Zoom on the meatsa pizza (back) and pesto chicken (front)



zoom on the veggie pizza



hehe love my pizza plates - they make me laugh; can also see the Meditteranean pizza well!


Ingredients:

8 Trader Joe's 6" pitas, brushed with olive oil and topped with garlic salt and red pepper flakes

2 Meatsa Pitas: 4 tbsp spaghetti sauce; 2 oz. chicken cooked in olive oil/salt/pepper; 2 slices turkey bacon; 6 turkey pepperonis; fat-free mozzarella cheese; reduced fat parmesan cheese.

2 Veggie Pitas: 4 tbsp spaghetti sauce; onions; red and green bell pepper; tomato; fat free mozzarella cheese; reduced fat parmesan cheese. Top with fresh basil.

2 Mediterranean Pitas: 4 tbsp spaghetti sauce; onions; olives; tomatoes; fat-free feta cheese.

2 Pesto Chicken Pitas: 2 tbsp pesto; 2 oz. chicken cooked in olive oil/salt/pepper; fat-free mozzarella; reduced fat parmesan cheese. Top with fresh basil.

Make all pitas on two pans. Put in oven on broil for 8 - 12 minutes. Cut and serve! I was so excited to use my little pizza plates!

Book club was a blasty – great conversation, yummy wine, fun catch-up time as well as book chat. It’s so good to have great friends, especially ones you have so much in common with! The book we discussed tonight was Sue Miller’s While I Was Gone. I gave it a 2.5 out of 5. It just wasn’t what I expected. It was very deep. It focused on a woman married to a minister who lived a happy life with her three children. Then you find that she has a past, and it comes back in a very unexpected way. It’s less of a story and more of a series of events. It DOES make you think and it definitely lent itself to conversation because most of us disagreed with the main character and the choices she made. I gave it a 2.5 instead of a 5 because I wished more had happened - more literal and less open to interpretation. I felt like the author wanted me to do all of the work; and while I was all about gleaning ideas/thoughts from the book, I needed more to hold my interest. It definitely got our club thinking about people from the past – is it good when they pop back up? Or a reminder of what could have been? Which led to an interesting conversation about Facebook and social media. So again, not the best book for me, but a definite conversation starter!

The next books are:

The Next Thing on My List: December book (Stacy’s pick/her house)
The Lovely Bones: January book (Mon’s pick/her house)

K – next week’s meal plan will have to be posted Sunday– this post is getting crazy long and the plan isn’t quite finalized. Also, i'll have some shopping pics to post. And I got my new iPhone - woo!! Thank you, Genius Bar + Liberty Mutual for making this happen!

Happy weekends, ladies! Talk to you all Sunday!! WAR EAGLE!

15 comments:

Nikka @ neekAdeek said...

I wish I knew of a Book Club to join, jealous!
Enjoy Lovely Bones, I did :)

Nicci said...

Must be Pizza Friday, I made flat out pizza tonight. Homemade pizza is always better than store bought!

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

I made pizza too! Mine were 2 veggie, 1 turkey pepperoni, and 1 everything. And I'm talking about 4 14" pizzas, plus 4 "baby" pizzas for the little boys! Go pizza!!

Your book club sounds like a lot of fun. I'm in one that meets monthly. I'm the youngest in the group so there is the occasional book I don't love, but I do enjoy talking about books with people who read!

Have a great one!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

The pita pizzas look & sound awesome!

I really want to join a book club once things calm down a bit...

Have a great weekend! :)

Thinspired said...

Great playlists! I have a lot of those songs on my workout playlist, too :) I love to really push it when I hear "Stronger."

Mica said...

Nice playlist! A good mix of pop and rock, for sure.

homecookedem said...

Great playlist!!

Those pita pizzas look fantastic!! Love the pizza plates, haha! :) Where'd you get them??

Have fun in Athens this weekend!! :)

Unknown said...

Book club sounds like fun! Your pizzas look really yummy!

Lele said...

So glad Gimme More is on your playlist. I think it's my favorite gym song ever!

Erica said...

Love the spread from book club. I think the simplicity of the white plates makes it look so elegant too :) Is it really Sunday? Where did the weekend go!

Neesha and Dustin said...

The Lovely Bones is quite wonderful, though, I think her book Lucky is way better. However, the first chapter is the most difficult thing in the world to get through...painful, really. Lovely Bones is heartbreaking, but not paralyzing like Lucky.

Also, I'm def going to make your tasty looking Chicken Pesto Pizza. OMG! I wanted to jump into the computer and end up on the other side where those pizzas were. Taste-y!

Neesha and Dustin said...

Also, totally random, but the song "Baby, It's Cold Outside" is always awesome on any playlist year round (for me, that is) and I have NO idea why, but it's so motivational at the end of a run :) Even when it's hot. Try it! You'll see what I mean.

Anonymous said...

love the JT song Lovestoned! good addition!

Pam said...

Homemade pizza is the best!

haute.teapot said...

I love that you're in a book club! That looks so fun and I have been wanting to get back into reading for the pleasure of reading, which I really haven't done for a long time. And your pizzas look AMAZING--yum and perfect for the occasion!