Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 328: Panini Recipe, Movie Review, 3.5 Miles and Ab Workout

Today was a pretty good Tuesday! Got lots of work done, walked 3.5 miles during lunch, worked more then headed to Trader Joe’s & Kroger for more contraband – fabulous! I had a few of these on the way home (well actually between stores):


Um, fabulous! Very funky and different - like spicy fabulous cheetos. I'm a FAN! Here’s some of my other eats from my very carby day...

Yogurt on the way in. Sigh. Traffic.



Breakfast protein - woo! Gotta love an English Muffin.



Hummus & Pita.... more carbs!




Lean Cuisine - boo on me for not making/packing a lunch last night.

WHOA – the lean cuisine didn’t even kind of fill me up. I forgot about that problem. Blah. Anyway. I’ve been craving a Panini. But who has ever heard of a healthy Panini? Panera, Corner Bakery, etc., have paninis with like 700+ calories. Frightening. Well I was over at Our Best bites and was like oh wow – that Panini looks GOOD. I made the (short) 5-item ingredient list and decided I’d check the products out at Trader Joe’s and if it seemed not too calorific I’d give it a whirl. Well I found the products, and decided to follow these directions from Our Best Bites for dinner! I call it Caprese Panini with Turkey. Here’s the recipe for one sandwich:


2 oz. (57 grams) Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Tuscan Pane

2 oz. (56 grams) Hormel Natural Choice Deli Turkey

1 oz. (28 grams) Trader Joe’s Fresh Mozzarella (2 slices)

30 grams tomato (1/2 small roma tomato; 3 slices)

5 basil leaves

¾ tsp olive oil

Salt & Pepper to taste

Pour olive oil in a small bowl. Use brush to spread on one side of each slice. Top one side with turkey, slices of tomato, basil, and slices of cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put top on. Brush olive oil on outside of sandwich (now all 4 sides have olive oil!). Put in panini maker (or George Foreman grill like me) for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Drop in microwave for 40 seconds (to help it gel together; melt cheese). Cut in half and serve. Nutritional Information: 277 calories, 29 carbs, 10 fat grams and 22 protein grams.

Putting 'em together




Ready to eat!

Yay!! It was super filling, too. Next time if I’m more hungry I’ll have it with a cup of Amy’s Chunky Tomato Bisque (120 calories; 3.5 fat grams; 21 carbs and 2 protein grams). But for dinner tonight, I just wasn’t that hungry! After Panini I got my stuff ready for tomorrow and settled in with He’s Just Not That Into You. Eh. I didn't love it but I certainly didn't hate it either. I just wanted it to be cuter, and more funny, but it was kind of painful to watch Jennifer Goodwin's character be so awkwardly needy, and watch Jennifer's character be so bitchily suspicious. At the end of the movie I just had to accept that it was a character study and NOT a feel-good chick flick. I did LOVE Ben & Jen Anniston together (cute!), and it was nice to see E in that role. Scarlett -eh - not a fan of her character. So, I guess it's good but just KNOW you're not going to feel very good after - I was more sad - like crying. haha After the movie I took 10 minutes to knock out our ab workout for the day.

Click to make larger.

It was a shorty, but a goody. I'm trying to do abs 3 days/week so this was a nice workout knowing there are more abs to come! I might step this one up next time, i'll see what Stacy thought first. I ended up at 1,693 calories, 234 carbs, 50 fat grams and 78 protein grams – not a bad day! Especially with the 3.5 miles factored in – woo! Here’s what I ate.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those baked jalapeno things are SO good!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

The panini looks good! I have a really cheap hot sandwich maker that I haven't used in ages. I'll have to use it again... :)

Mica said...

The jalapeño crunchies sound awesome! I really wish we had a TJ's here, if only for crunchies!

That panini looks great. I might have to make it for Harrison. He's a sucker for caprese-type things.

Therese said...

Yuck to Atlanta traffic...It's the worst! People drive like maniacs!

I can't believe how good you are about trying new recipes. Oh and your breakfast sandwich looks like McDonald's...yum!

Erica said...

Hi Chica! TJs really does have the best more natural products! The funky cheetos sound pretty awesome to me :) I have tried one of those lean cuisine pizzas before and was not pleased- they're super soggy

Taylor said...

I just found your blog, and it's so cute! I love panini's! And yes Panera's are soooo fattening- BOO!

Pam said...

The panini looks delicious!

Stacy said...

The panini looks super yummy, but more importantly - you DIDN'T like 'Just Not That Into You'???? We are on different planets when it comes to movies...:) lol!

April said...

Mmmm...that panini look great! I would be using my poor woman's panini maker too :)

Thinspired said...

I don't know if you have talked about this before, but what speed do you typically walk (assuming you walk on a treadmill)? I'm doing more walking and less running lately and trying to find a good pace for long walks.

Julie said...

Panini looks good! Might just have to add those ingredients to the Trader Joe's list next time I head there! Thanks for the info on the HRM... it sounds like you ended up with F7. Is that right? Also, any info on how long they last? I heard you can't replace the batteries of Polars...

april said...

Love the panini!! I've been obsessed lately!

And that ab workout looks great! scissors are a killer!

Liz said...

How do you make Spark People have more than one snack? When I enter my snacks it groups them all at once and I noticed on yours it has Snack 1, Snack 2, etc.

Anonymous said...

Oh that panini looks soooo good! My kind of sandwich with the grill marks and the melty cheese!
And yo, come to New York! The traffic here will make you faint!

Emily said...

mmm that panini looks scrumptious. i sooo miss my paninis from my time in italy! i might have to try yours to bring me back! also, i'm with ya on ginnifer goodwin's character...tooootal second hand embarassment throughout the whole movie!

Big Pissy said...

that panini looks REALLY good! YUM!:)

fittingbackin said...

Inmytummy: Love 'em!

Andrea: It was super yummy - yes - buest it out!

Mica: They're awesome - yes, crunchies only! haha Oh make it for him! Austin loves them. :)

Therese: It IS - crazy town. I'm trying for sure - I think i'm addicted to it! haha It's my favorite breakfast!

Erica: they do!! They're really good -great snack but not filling at all! :( Mine was overcooked - blah.

Taylor; Hey! Thanks! Yes, Panera is sad when it comes to calorie counts. :(

Pam: Thanks! I'm loving paninis - made another new one today!

Stacy: haha I KNOW - we're way off!! hehe

April: oh yeah - I never even thought about buying one - i'm assuming they're pricey!

Thinspired: I walk at 4.0 normally - sometimes more but never less. Hope that helps! (i'll post on your blog too!)

Julie: I did! The F7 (which I hear is the F6 but the F7 comes with the chest strap). I don't know about the batteries - boo!

April: Thanks! They ARE!

Liz: Weird! I spent like 20 minutes this morning trying to figure out how I did it! I'll mess with it again tonight!

Burpandslurp: YES - i'm all about the grill marks! haha Oh I don't think I could handle it - ATL is enough for me! haha

Emily: YES - 2nd hand embarrassment for sure - I just was cringing for her! And you must make a panini stat!

Pissy: Thanks!! :) I think you'd like it!

Peanut Butter Swirl said...

oh goodness your panini is making me seriously hungry!! delicious :)

Anonymous said...

I thought the movie was just ok but I was expecting the worst (NY cynic) and I always swear I'm never going to watch another movie with Scarlett in it after every single one. When will I learn?!
I love those TJ cheese crunchies they are like crack!

Thinspired said...

Thanks for getting back to me! That's the speed I try for, too. It gets hard on an incline, though!

fittingbackin said...

Inmytummy: Love 'em!

Andrea: It was super yummy - yes - buest it out!

Mica: They're awesome - yes, crunchies only! haha Oh make it for him! Austin loves them. :)

Therese: It IS - crazy town. I'm trying for sure - I think i'm addicted to it! haha It's my favorite breakfast!

Erica: they do!! They're really good -great snack but not filling at all! :( Mine was overcooked - blah.

Taylor; Hey! Thanks! Yes, Panera is sad when it comes to calorie counts. :(

Pam: Thanks! I'm loving paninis - made another new one today!

Stacy: haha I KNOW - we're way off!! hehe

April: oh yeah - I never even thought about buying one - i'm assuming they're pricey!

Thinspired: I walk at 4.0 normally - sometimes more but never less. Hope that helps! (i'll post on your blog too!)

Julie: I did! The F7 (which I hear is the F6 but the F7 comes with the chest strap). I don't know about the batteries - boo!

April: Thanks! They ARE!

Liz: Weird! I spent like 20 minutes this morning trying to figure out how I did it! I'll mess with it again tonight!

Burpandslurp: YES - i'm all about the grill marks! haha Oh I don't think I could handle it - ATL is enough for me! haha

Emily: YES - 2nd hand embarrassment for sure - I just was cringing for her! And you must make a panini stat!

Pissy: Thanks!! :) I think you'd like it!

Liz @ in the skinny said...

How do you make Spark People have more than one snack? When I enter my snacks it groups them all at once and I noticed on yours it has Snack 1, Snack 2, etc.

Thinspired said...

I don't know if you have talked about this before, but what speed do you typically walk (assuming you walk on a treadmill)? I'm doing more walking and less running lately and trying to find a good pace for long walks.

Pam said...

The panini looks delicious!