Friday, October 23, 2009

I'm Sick... I Made a new Recipe... I may be addicted to my Slow Cooker

So it’s official. I’m sick...
This means:

  • No 755 club + sandlot at Turner field last night
  • No shopping day today (planned to hit up Macy’s, American Apparel, Nordstrom, Forever 21 and Old Navy)… along with the bank. Had even taken off work!
  • No gym…. Yesterday or today. Not even kind of happening.
  • No going out in the Highland's tonight to celebrate my buddy's two-six.
  • No meeting Jason/Crystal's baby... don't want to get baby sick. :(

Instead it means this…

  • A visit to the doctor - I have a bacterial infection with sinisitus and a fever. I was given mucinex, antibiotics and a nose spray.
  • Lots of fluids.
  • Lots of time with pupper.
  • Lots of time lying in bed, playing on computer, watching bad TV.
  • Plain food... only turkey sandwiches sound good. And m&ms. Random.
Yes, i'm feeling sorry for myself. I HATE getting sick. I just feel helpless... but I also feel like my head is going to explode with a stuffed nose that runs (explain that, please?!), a sore throat, a nasty cough, a sore face (sinus pressure), a headache and a ear ache. My fever is a little over 100 so i'm also taking Tylenol. GRRRR.

So go - have WONDERFUL weekends without me. I'll be exactly where I am above, but maybe in different PJ's.

Real quick backtrack: Yesterday I never got out of bed. True story - I felt awful and it didn't get better, only worse, and I didn't sleep a wink. I DID have a new recipe from Real Mom Kitchen, Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup. It's AMAZING - here's the recipe for FOUR large servings:


1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz size - southwest style)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 1/2 cups water
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can ( 10 3/4 oz) fat-free cream of chicken soup
2 cups fat-free milk
16 oz. chicken, boneless and skinless

In crock pot, mix the taco packet together with the water and tomato sauce. Add cream of chicken soup and milk and whisk together until smooth. Add chicken. Pour drained black beans, drained corn and diced tomatoes on top of that. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Before serving, take out chicken and shred, then put back and stir it all together. Serve alone or with 10 grams tortilla chips. Nutritional Information: 452 calories, 61 carbs, 4 fat grams and 40 protein grams. (before corn chips or other toppings). We really liked it! You could easily make it 5 or 6 servings, or less, and have as a side with a sandwich! I was just all about big, hearty bowls of soup!

Anywho, other than that shining meal yesterday was a wash. I ended up at 1,538 calories, 210 carbs, 45 fat grams and 80 protein grams. Here's what I ate.

K - off to watch another episode of Desperate Housewives and find some more slow cooker recipes. Austin's mom gave him Fix it And Forget It Lightly in college - we're about to become besties. Happy Friday, friends! I'll be reading your blogs so do update. hehe :)

30 comments:

Big Pissy said...

Just got off the phone with you! haha!!!

I'm SO so sorry that you're sick! Hate it! :(

Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.

{{{hugs}}}

Monica said...

I knew you would love your crock pot!! I am seriously OBSESSED and have some recipes I need to send to you. Also remember a few weekends ago when we were at Publix, I got that little crockpot magazine cookbook? There are some great recipes in there...I'll bring next time I see you!

Monica said...

And of course, I hope you feel lots better and we will miss yall this weekend!!

Anonymous said...

oh no! I know the feeling, lady. it sucks. Take care of yourself and take something that will make you sleep....that's the only thing that made me feel better.

The soup sounds great - I LOVE making crock pot soups...and I normally make 2 batches so I can freeze it! easy!

Think of all the money (and calories ;) ) you're saving being sick! hahah gotta look on the bright side!

Kaneil

Anonymous said...

Oh no :( Take care of yourself!

Soup looks deliscious! I like to drink 7-up when i'm sick :)

Samma said...

Poorgirl! I hate being sick too. I hope you feel better.

Pam said...

The soup looks hearty, comforting and delicious. Hope you feel better.

Anonymous said...

Aww, feel better.

Paige @ RAN said...

Aw I hope you feel better soon.

At least you get to spend some QT with the pup!

Therese said...

Oh NO!! That's the worst!! Just think of it as free time to veg out and catch up on your DVR :)

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm sorry you're sick! I hope you feel better soon!

haute.teapot said...

Aww I feel so bad for you but the picture is cute with a big box of Mucinex--I'm the same way! Your recipe makes me want to get a slow cooker by the way--I love soups and that's all I've been wanting since October hit. Hope you feel better!

Unknown said...

That slow cooker recipe looks really good...I'm going to print it out and try it for sure. I hope you feel better! Lots of liquids and rest for you!

JBae said...

Your recipe inspired me to replace the slow cooker we got rid of when we moved. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better!

Check out http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ for more crockpot recipes. You can even make yogurt in the crockpot....haven't tried that one though.

fittingbackin said...

Pissy: Thanks! I'm trying to!

Mon: I know it!! You're always right - I love it! I do remember that - must borrow - love it! I'll give you this cookbook, too!

Balanceisbest: Thanks, girl! oooh that's a great idea! haha I know it - I think i'm saving up both! Love it!

redhead75: great idea - I haven't had sprite in years - sounds yum!

Samma: Thanks, girl!

Pam: It's really yummy. Thanks!

Inmytummy: Thanks!

Paige: Thanks -oh yes, lots of QT with reubs!

Therese: Yes, there actually are perks to being sick! haha

Angie: Thanks! me too. :)

Haute teapot: haha thanks! Austin took it! And you MUST get a slow cooker!!

Melissa: Do it - it's a good one. Real Mom Kitchen has lots of great soups I want to try!

Jbae: aw do it! :) I hope you try it/like it!

Intheskinny: thanks girl and thank you so much for the link!! I appreciate it - one more thing to peruse today - woo!!!

Kelly Olexa said...

Awww feel better honey! I hate being sick too, not that anyone loves it, but I'm so impatient it drives me insane to be "helpless" too!!
get better!
XOXO

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I hope you'll feel better soon.

The slow cooker soup recipe sounds great. I have been looking for slow cooker recipes, so this is going on my "must make" list.

fittingbackin said...

Kelly: Thanks! I know it - it like stresses me out not being able to do anything! :(

Andrea: Thank you! It was really good - I hope you and your family like it!

Mom on the Run said...

I am looking for a new crock pot recipe for a pot luck next week. This looks amazing!!

Mica said...

Bummer, I'm sorry that you're sick! I'm glad you have Reuben to keep you company, though. I bet he takes good care of you.

I should get a crock pot. Everyone raves about them, and you seem to be putting yours to good use!

Lara (Thinspired) said...

This soup recipe looks good and easy! Today I labored over homemade chicken soup that wasn't even very good! I wish I had had this recipe!

Unknown said...

I'm kinda scared with how similar our brains are thinking right now! :-) I looked at real mom kitchen's blog after you mentioned it and took the chicken tortilla soup recipe off to make this week bc I've been craving it AND my coworker lent me her copy of Fix it and forget it lightly last week because I was saying how I love my crock pot and want to use it more! I promise I am not stalking you those are just two weird coincidences!

So sorry that you are sick, feel better soon!

Kelly Drawdy said...

Hey Kel! I made the chicken tortilla soup, it was amazing! I of course added green chiles and some fresh peppers along with a hint of hot sauce! We like it spicy! Wonderful! Does it really have 61 g of CHO in a serving though?

fittingbackin said...

Mom on the run: Awesome - I hope you try it and like it!

Mica: You must - i'm fast discovering how many peeps don't have one - get one, girl!

Lara: Thanks! Oh no - I get so sad over recipe fails! :(

SLJ: that's SO funny!! Love it!! haha I love a stalking reference LOL LOL

Kelly: Awesome - I love the idea of adding green chilis or replacing the diced tomatoes with a can of rotel! What is CHO?? Hot sauce is a great idea!!

Lara (Thinspired) said...

This soup recipe looks good and easy! Today I labored over homemade chicken soup that wasn't even very good! I wish I had had this recipe!

fittingbackin said...

Mom on the run: Awesome - I hope you try it and like it!

Mica: You must - i'm fast discovering how many peeps don't have one - get one, girl!

Lara: Thanks! Oh no - I get so sad over recipe fails! :(

SLJ: that's SO funny!! Love it!! haha I love a stalking reference LOL LOL

Kelly: Awesome - I love the idea of adding green chilis or replacing the diced tomatoes with a can of rotel! What is CHO?? Hot sauce is a great idea!!

haute.teapot said...

Aww I feel so bad for you but the picture is cute with a big box of Mucinex--I'm the same way! Your recipe makes me want to get a slow cooker by the way--I love soups and that's all I've been wanting since October hit. Hope you feel better!

angieinatlanta said...

Oh no! I'm sorry you're sick! I hope you feel better soon!

inmytummy said...

Aww, feel better.