Friday, September 3, 2010

New Mexican Recipe, Car Saga Continues, 10K Training

Hehe we're some carb lovers! Yes, it's okay to choose 'noodles and rice.' Totally! Glad you guys think the recipe looks good! I was really happy with it, as I honestly always am with For the Love of Cooking recipes! So... you guys had it right - buying a car IS stressful. Blah - over it and i'm not even under a new roof yet.

Yesterday was all about the car. I worked until noon then headed over to talk $. We made some progress and he suggested we take the car home and come back later to finish up our convo. We rolled so we could work more. Then after work I ran 2.5 miles and walked 1 mile. Then it was time to hit the dealership back up. We decided I want the car, but need to do an independent/3rd party inspection, so he gave me the car for the night. We got home at 8:30 p.m. and when I pulled it in the garage and turned it off, it made this weird whirring sound. So now, instead of getting it inspected, i'm going to take it back to them to see what it is/fix it THEN get it inspected. If it's all good and the problem isn't recurring - i'll buy it. I mean, it's under warranty, but still, don't want to buy it with that sound/not knowing what it is/etc. SIGH. The saga continues. I'll keep you posted. It's like Austin says. I don't NEED a new car. Mine is paid for. It's fine. I can drive his if I need to since he's working from home. No need to feel pressured. And, at least now, after this exercise, my finances are ready, my title is in hand, I know what I want, I've done my research, etc. So IF this particular car isn't the one, it's not all for nothing, right?! Right. :) I ended the night at 1,659 calories, 195 carbs, 59 fat grams and 89 protein grams. Here's what I ate. K... RECIPE TIME!!!

Chicken Tamale Casserole
Makes 6 Servings
Adapted from Cooking Light

1 cup Cabot 75% cheese, grated and divided
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1 egg
1 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1 14 3/4-ounce can cream-style corn
1 8.5-ounce box corn muffin mix (Jiffy)
1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
Cooking spray
1 10-ounce can red enchilada sauce
24 oz. shredded cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream

Preheat oven to 400. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and next 7 ingredients (through chiles) in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.

whole pan of 6 servings right out of the oven

Nutritional Information: 400 calories, 40 carbs, 10 fat grams and 36 protein grams.

Review: A-mazing! Great portion size, nice flavor, love the zing in the 'cornbread' layer mixed with the cold of the sour cream topping. This is a really great dish - looking forward to making this again. Austin said it may be a favorite - the green chiles really do give it a nice zing!

Q: So happy Friday?! What are you doing this weekend? We're trying to figure out this car stuff... if it gets worked out today, we're either going to Birmingham tonight to watch Austin's brother's football game or staying home. Tomorrow, whether we leave from Birmingham or Atlanta, we're headed to the lake with Mark & Ruje - woo! Reuben's even coming - get ready for cute life jacket photogs. :)

16 comments:

Jenny said...

Holy crap- that looks delicious!!

Genesis said...

we're a two car family now too and the great thing about it is that one is paid for and the other is under payments, but im thinking next year after we pay off the truck we'll search for an SUv for me. i love my little subaru but im really itching for a cute SUV. im sure ill be rereading your posts when im going through that ordeal :)

chicken tamale looks really delish.

as for friday plans...well we'll be driving through the night to the in-laws...i will be very grumpy this time tomorrow

Lauren Starks said...

That looks yummy!

Friday/Weekend: 15 miler tomorrow morning, Buckhead Bellyache ride on Sunday morning, US10K Classic on Monday. Avoid NASCAR traffic on the Southside. Hang out with some friends.

Kacy said...

Gosh, hope it all works out girl. Stressful!

I'm going to a wedding tonight and the OU football game tomorrow. Woo hoo!

Have fun at the lake :)

april said...

New Mexican recipe.. YAY!! My state :)

homecookedem said...

Definitely get that sound checked out. Hopefully it's no big deal and all will work out for you!! :)

That chicken tamale casserole looks awesome!

Enjoy your weekend!! :) We're not doing much, just hanging out with family and friends... and relaxing, ahhhhhhh! :)

Anonymous said...

Car buying is my absolute worst thing to do. Right now both our cars have been paid off for years, we both have 120,000+ miles on them and still plan to keep them for as long as we can.

Love that recipe!! I may steal that for one of my lunches next week!

Have a great long weekend!

Tami@NutmegNotebook said...

I love me some Mexican food and that looks so good!

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to give that casserole a whirl next weekend. (I would totally cook it up today, but since I'm going to be out of town pretty much starting tomorrow am I wouldn't get to enjoy it. Sad!)

We're football viewing all day today (!!!) and tomorrow we're driving to Richmond, meeting up with a lot of friends, and going to a wedding.

Hope your car saga sorts itself out soon!

Unknown said...

Wow...that looks delicious! We are going to a wedding tomorrow night so we are making the weekend out of it!

Val said...

Everything will work out, sweetie!! Let's talk about that Chicken Tamale, Holy YUM!!!

Kelly Olexa said...

I loathe car problems, I really really do. Especially when I ain't gotta man to like FIX IT and stuff. ;-)hehehe
As usual, your recipe looks divine. I'm not playing when I say you need your own show girl. I'm gonna make this happen. ;-) XOX

Christina said...

OMG that looks so good. that's cool there is jiffy in the mix! nice!

VegeCooking Club said...

I do believe I have made this before and it was absolutely delish. Great choice!

VegeCooking Club said...

I do believe I have made this before and it was absolutely delish. Great choice!

Blogger said...

I made $20 per a 20 minute survey!

Guess what? This is exactly what big companies are paying for. They need to know what their customer base needs and wants. So big companies pay $1,000,000's of dollars per month to the average person. In return, the average person, like me and you, answers some questions and gives them their opinion.