Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Book Review, Day 1 on the Slopes, Movie Review, 2 Miles

Hi friends! Thanks so much for your sweet comments on our tacky sweater pictures! We really had a blast – so much fun to celebrate with your best friends! However, Sunday was a bit rough, we just got up early, headed home to B’ham, napped and then got to work doing before-trip stuff: laundry, baths for the pups, bills, dishes, trash – you name it, it had to be done before we left! We also spent a lot of time packing to take ONLY what we needed – it’s hard when you have to bring “street clothes”, and ski clothes/helmet/goggles/etc., and gym clothes. Sigh. But we got it done and called it a night around 10.

Monday was a LONG day. We got up at 6:30, took the pups to their home away from home, and headed to the airport for our 9:30 a.m. flight… which was delayed. We boarded around 10:30 a.m. and had a 3-hour flight where I watched Eat Pray Love. Meh. Not my favorite. Maybe I need to watch it when I’m not on a plane, but for me it just didn’t resonate for me and I had no sympathy for any of the characters. I was disappointed! We landed in Vail at noon (mountain time) and got to the hotel at 1 p.m. Did we unpack? No. Have lunch? No. We headed STRAIGHT for the mountain and got in a few runs. Typically I like to start on greens, give it a whirl, get my ski legs. But instead we went straight for the blues! I enjoyed it and definitely felt challenged skiing with the boys. After skiing, we went to the Chop House for appetizers, then to the gym for a 2-mile walk and back/biceps. Then it was back to the room for showers before dinner at Blue Moose Pizza. And then it was closing time - the end to a LONG day! Here’s some pics from yesterday.

Austin and Tyler on the ski lift
me on the lift!
Austin and his bros
me i'm such a goober
Beaver creek -you can see Austin - he's the speck down there
An adorable ice skating rink in the middle of the village where we're staying
Love all of the beautifully lit trees
Blue Moose Pizza - where we had dinner

Me skiing!
Does this picture show you how INCREDIBLY snowy and foggy it was? You couldn't see 4' in front of you. I mean really - there were like trees behind them - I swear!


Last night I finished Joanne Fluke’s Key Lime Pie Murder. I’ve found with her writing, unless I’m in the mood for light-heartedness, it’s a bit too long-winded. This book in particular I found myself scanning a bit to get to the main story. However, I liked that this book’s mystery was solvable on your own (although I didn’t!), and it was cute – had a lot about her sister’s and her love triangle with Norman and Mike and opened itself up to another mystery related to her mother. It was cute, and for what it was, a good mystery. I give this one a 3/5 – great, light read but definitely not a series that keeps you constantly turning the page – just not that kind of books.

Q: Have you ever been skiing? What’s your favorite place to ski? I LOVE Breckenridge, but also have a super soft spot for Park City since that’s where Austin proposed on a mountain top! I’m also loving Beaver Creek so far, more on that tomorrow!

Q: How was your Monday? Are you working? Chilling? Spending it with family? I’ve been able to catch up with work pretty well here thanks to my aircard, but I’m really enjoying the time with Austin’s family and the downtime to chill and read!

9 comments:

Erica said...

Glad you guys arrived safely! Isn't it so hard to drop off/leave the puppers :( Looks like a great time so far! I'm not a skier....its just too cold for me ;) Monday was good! Tuesday was better because it was my "Friday". Enjoy the rest of your trip

Dawn Dishes It Out said...

I felt the same way about Eat Pray Love. I cannot tell you how much I loved the book though! I was reading it last year at this time and it really helped me through some emotional stuff but the movie did nothing for me. I was really disappointed.

Tyler said...

Looks like fun! I've never been sking before. Ryan has numerous times. Perhaps he can teach me some day!

lee said...

I'm jealous of your ski trip. I haven't been skiing in three years!

I haven't seen Eat, Pray, Love but I thought the book was kinda boring.

Mica said...

Look at you, Miss Snow Bunny!

I haven't been skiing pretty much ever. I'd like to try it, but it seems like a lot of gear.

Hope said...

I didn't like Eat Pray Love. I didn't read the book but I thought the movie was just so boring and drawn out. It's a shame because I was so excited to see it.

Kacy said...

Looks like a fun first day!! My Monday was spent working, cooking and doing yoga :)

Have a fun rest of your trip!

Gabriela said...

I went to Beaver Creek maybe five years ago and loved it!! Copper Mountain is by FAR my favorite though, I love it. We started going there when I was about seven or eight, before anyone even knew about it. Best mountain ever!

Erica said...

Glad you guys arrived safely! Isn't it so hard to drop off/leave the puppers :( Looks like a great time so far! I'm not a skier....its just too cold for me ;) Monday was good! Tuesday was better because it was my "Friday". Enjoy the rest of your trip