Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hey It's Okay...., 4 Miles, New Quiche Recipe

Thanks you guys!! We really did have a blast in Auburn! Even though those long days of day to night drinking are starting to take a toll - eek! This weekend is detox. Nope, not going to JD's wedding in Destin. Nope, can't make it to Mike and Mandy's beerfest here in ATL. Nope, Austin can't attend Andrew's Bachelor Party in Charleston. We HAVE to take a break and get some stuff done. I hate it - and REALLY want to be at these things... but sometimes you have to take it easy, ya know? And that's the theme of this weekend - LOW KEY.

On another note, I love those ‘Hey It’s Okays’ – I think Glamour magazine does them? You know, they’re all like ‘Hey, it’s okay to skip a bunch of super fun events you want to be at to sit on your ass all weekend.’ They’re kind of reassuring in some way. Yesterday, my ‘Hey, it’s okays’ went something like this: Hey, it’s okay….

  • To cancel a meeting with someone 30 minutes prior to the meeting with some BS excuse because you just really don’t feel like dealing with them.
  • To spend more time planning what you’re going to eat than cooking it.
  • To FUME when your husband someone misplaces your keys but when you misplace theirs just smile sheepishly and say you’re sorry because, you know, it’s not a big deal and it’s not like you did it on purpose.
  • To cancel your afternoon run because the AC is out at your favorite gym… and then drive past two other perfectly good gyms to go home instead of running.
  • To turn the temperature on 68, put on a glorified sweat suit get straight into bed at 5:30 p.m. and pretend it’s wintertime... then be all surprised when your power bill is $300+.
  • To spend over an hour looking at the Fall TV line-up, learning about the new shows via Wikipedia to see which ones sound juicy, but then ultimately setting your DVR to record each and every pilot just in case one that doesn’t sound good is good and you miss out.
  • To “go to bed early” only to stay up late watching pilot episodes from the new Fall TV line-up.

Yes, that was my day in a nutshell. Oh, and a 4-mile walk at lunch with Stacy.

Q: What's your 'Hey It's Okay' today?

And for all of you cooks out there, here's a yummy recipe I made from For the Love of Cooking! We're so addicted to Pam's recipes. Whenever Austin requests a specific dish it's ALWAYS one of hers, usually her lasagna or meatballs! (he hearts some Italian). Anywho, Here it goes!

Tomato, Spinach, and Basil Quiche with a Shredded Potato Crust
Makes 4 Serving
my slice

20 oz. russet potatoes (2 medium), peeled and grated
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp red onion, diced finely
1/2 cup of fresh spinach, diced
1 tomato, diced
2 oz. fat-free feta cheese
8 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1 tbsp fresh basil
Sea salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Coat a pie dish with cooking spray and olive oil. Peel then shred potatoes onto 2 paper towels; add another two paper towels to the top and press all the liquid out of the potatoes. Smash shredded potatoes all over the bottom and sides of the pie pan, pressing firmly. Spray with cooking spray and season with sea salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste. Bake for 12-13 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Sprinkle diced tomato, spinach, red onion and half of cheese on potatoes. Beat eggs with milk and season with dill, sea salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture on veggies then top with remaining cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean - don't overcook. Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes before slicing.

pre-cooked

all cooked up


Nutritional Information: 302 calories, 30 carbs, 11 fat grams and 20 protein grams.

Review: Loved it! Super flavorful and filling - love the idea of a potato crust! To save time you could try frozen, but I think it won't taste as good and will likely up the calorie counts. I will say that you should REALLY make sure the potatoes are dry. We made extra effort and I think it would have been soggy if we hadn't done that. Anywho - can't wait to make this again - definitely a family favorite!

Q: Do you ever skip out on events to detox? Do you think it's smart or selfish? (p.s. if you say selfish you're not my friend anymore. j/k!!) :)

14 comments:

Erica said...

Amen! We all need a break sometimes. You guys have been SUPER busy- I think a low key meeting is much needed. The quiche looks super tasty. Anything with eggs and potatoes usually rocks :) I don't think its selfish at all to take a break! We're all human

Mica said...

I've never seen this "Hey, It's OK" feature before, but I definitely think all of your things are okay. Like Erica said above, you've been super busy and need some destress and detox time.

I'm going to go waste perfectly good money getting tea at the local coffee shop because, it's okay...

Tyler said...

I agree that it's OK to do what you want/need to do for you. Totally NOT selfish. I think we guilt ourselves into doing things we really don't feel up to doing and that's not OK. I lurve me some quiche!

Pam said...

I think it's important to be good to yourself!

I am so glad you and your husband like my recipes. I think the quiche looks wonderful with basil. Great photos!

Nicky @ Eat, Run, Read said...

I think it's totally okay to take time to yourself like that.

I know that I've been trying to cram everything possible in this month before I leave and there have just been a bunch of nights that instead of wanting to go out and party and see everyone, Jon and I opt to stay in and watch TV instead. :)

you've gotta rest up so that you can fully enjoy the events you *do* go to, IMOO.

Kacy said...

I turn down social events all the time to relax. I'm a loner by nature, so sometimes I have to force myself to go out when I'd rather be home.

Mine would be, "Hey, it's OK to leave your packed lunch in the fridge and go to Panera if you feel like it." :)

Kate @ Daffodils said...

I loved your 'it's ok!" list and agree with all of them. Sometimes I play the 'hey, its ok to turn on the tv for the baby so I can catch up on blogs... :) And yes, relaxing weekends are a must!

Beth @ bride in the white dress said...

It's not selfish at all to take a little time to yourself. You'll be a better & happier person because of it. As much as I love being busy- I look forward to having a night or weekend to myself. Its leaves more focused and relaxed. :)

amanda said...

sometimes life needs to just slow down and take a breather. nothing wrong with saying no.

LOVE the 'hey it's okay' feature. and yes, it's glamour. i look forward to them in every issue.

it's okay to skip the gym. it's okay to feel overwhelmed by all the good tv on. it's okay to search for a new job while at work.

Anonymous said...

I think it's smart to be "selfish" with your time every now and then. You need downtime, time to recover, etc. If you were on 24/7/365 you'd burn out so fast.

I like this "Hey, it's okay" thing. I may steal it! Right now, the one I'm thinking of is: "Hey, it's okay to feel entirely pooped after happy hour! Socializing is exhausting..."

Anonymous said...

Love the recipe! I'm bookmarking it!

Gabriela said...

I used to skip events ALL THE TIME because I was afraid of the food they might serve there, but now I go to pretty much everything I'm invited to. That being said though, I do turn down invites if I'm feeling overwhelmed...no one wants to be around a tired Ms. Cranky Pants!!

Happy hump day!

Unknown said...

Aww YES it's great to detox! I've got to do it. I can't keep going every weekend. I could never do two back to back Auburn weekends. Yikes. I was tired for three days and I went to bed like before midnight both nights - *sigh* we're old. LOL!

But no - it's fine/smart/healthy to detox. Good for you for taking a break.

I too loved your OKs - AND NEW BACKGROUND - what the frik!!! And yes. They are totally OK.

And I too have a $300 power bill. Meh.

Kelly Olexa said...

Girl, I have to attend so many social events in my line of work that HECK YES I skip out to detox whenever I can. I catch a lot of flack but hey- sorry, I'm not an alcoholic party animal that's 200lbs overweight because I never move except from party to my hotel room. WHAT?? Detox rules.