Thursday, November 11, 2010

Shoe Decision, More Shoe Advice, 4 Miles, New Recipe: Lasagna Soup

Thank you for your sweet Remy comments and for the boot advice and thoughts - you guys are awesome!! I think the peep toe just makes them fun - i'd totally wear tights through the peep. And I'd wear them with leggings too - especially ones with stirrups to keep them in. I got them last night.... I couldn't wait! I just loved them. I tried them on with a bunch of stuff and like them best with skirts and dresses - no jeans (looked too bunchy). I did put a pair of skinny black pants in there - liked it. Forgive the bad pics - took them of myself in a mirror at night with no flash. Set up to fail, right?! hehe click to make larger
So with a dress and solid black tights; with bare legs, a skirt and long sleeved shirt; with black pants, a black shirt, a long cardi and a scarf, and with a dress, striped leggings and a black coverup. A few things I put together! And of course, I understand some of you may still dislike them - but I think i'm going to have a blast with them, and am already eying a different pair in brown.

Love, Hate, Thoughts? I think i'll wear these just as much as the black ones - eeee!


I wish they were a bit more of a chocolate brown. But ladies it's HARD to find lace up, peep toe, oxford-look with a wedge (and a wedge that is flush rather than a different color than the rest of the shoe). I'm going to try to find these tonight. I found a similar pair at Baker's and at DSW - but they don't have them at the THREE malls by me. And I want them now. Not shipped to me in "5-7 business days." Yes, I know, I'm a total stereotypical American. I'll probably even use a credit card. Love it.

Yes, I promise I talk about things besides shoes on this blog. I promise. I just have the shoe bug and am FEELING this colder weather - EEEEEEE!

Onward and out -I made a new recipe at lunch. I couldn't wait until next week so I whipped up the Lasagna Soup adapted from Real Mom Kitchen.


Makes 4 Servings below (or 6 servings if you want to add garlic croutons or a side of bread to take up the calories)

1 lb 96/4 ground beef
½ cup onion, chopped
½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
2 ½ tsp minced garlic
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 32-ounce box fat-free chicken broth will reduce next time (note below)
2 14.5- ounce cans petite diced tomatoes
2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
2 tsp Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
4 oz. mini farfalle pasta, uncooked
¼ cup of parmesan cheese
60 grams shredded mozzarella cheese, divided



In a large Dutch oven, combine beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles. Drain well. Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. In the meantime, cook pasta according to package directions in a separate pan. Drain. Add cooked pasta to soup and stir in Parmesan cheese. Top each bowl of soup with shredded mozzarella.

Nutritional Information (for each serving above as 4): 430 calories, 47 carbs, 10 fat grams and 37 protein grams.

Review: Loved it! Great flavor and VERY filling. I will say that, for me, it was too soupy for 4 servings (probably great if you did 6 but that would be too low calorie for me). So next time I would cut the chicken broth in HALF to 16 oz. broth. If I did 6 servings, I would add garlic croutons like Real Mom Kitchen suggested to take it up!

On to yesterday - it went as planned: work, 4 miles during lunch, work, home to the puppers + TV. I also did TONS of work on the recipes getting them into spark people, tweaking them and making a grocery list - awesomeness!

Q: Any fall trends you plan to embrace? I'm going to continue leggings/tights, skirts, dresses and boots - but plan to add this fun/bootie deal in brown and black.

Q: When you like something, do you get it in 2 colors? I do - sometimes even more than 2. If the price and fit are right, and the other options aren't heinous, I love to get more than 1!

19 comments:

Dawn Dishes It Out said...

The black peep toe look great on! I would love the brown lace ups more if they were a chocolate brown, but they are adorable too. You have fabulous fashion sense!!

Kacy said...

I don't think I'd be able to walk in that second pair lol. But they are very stylish!

The soup looks great!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Glad you got the fun shoes! I know you'll love them!!!

And the other pair is cute, too! You are very stylish! :-)

I got two pairs of super comfy jeggins, which I LOVE wearing with boots.

Erica said...

You're SO making me want to go shopping. I rarely go, so I think its about time! The soup looks good to me- but I'm the same way...I like a thicker vs. thinner soup.

Gabriela said...

I actually like the second pair better than the first- oxford lace-ups are so in right now!! Love. Them.

lee said...

Honestly, not a fan of the brown shoes, but I have zero fashion sense, so don't listen to me!

I embraced jeggings even though I don't like the name.

haute.teapot said...

PLEASE get that shoe! It's fabulous and I love the neutral color. I think you'll totally wear them--a lot. I'll live vicariously through you because I really love them. Please post pictures of them in the flesh when you have those babies.

And your soup is going to make me hungry! AND, you little Remy is adorable...I loved reading your other posts about her. :)

p.s. You know I love when you write about anything fashion related, so keep at it!

Tyler said...

Fun shoes! I love leggings, jeggings, and tights. They sass up the ole' wardrobe. I'm also a huge advocate of buying multiples of things if they are a basic i.e. camis, t's, jeans, etc. You can dress them so many different ways to make them more exciting!

Hope said...

The soup looks delicious! When I find something I like, I usually end up buying it in a few different colors. I totally want to try a pair of jeggings.

hbobier said...

LOVE those brown boots. You pick such statement pieces, I'm so jealous. My shoes (boots especially) are so boring.

As for my trends, I rock the leggings/tunic/boots look pretty much every day. I love that my office allows for that type of nonsense. :)

Biz said...

Okay, my fashion sense must have gone out the window - sorry Kelly, but I don't like the shoes!

But in the picture with the black ones I like.

But this is coming from someone who owns four pair of shoes (including 1 pair of slippers!) and washes her face with shampoo in the shower. :D

Happy Friday and enjoy your weekend!

Tami@NutmegNotebook said...

Yes I often get things in two colors if I really like it! I am not into the peep toe for winter, okay it rains a lot here in winter and I need closed toe shoes!

You always look adorable though and I say go for it!

That soup looks good. check out my blog post today, I posted about a wonderful Chipotle Chicken Stew you might like.

Unknown said...

That recipe looks delicious...thansk for sharing! And, yes I have been known to buy things I like in multiple colors. :)

jamie@sweatyhugs said...

I LOVE your fashion sense and you are rocking the peep toe boots! I may need to do some shopping this weekend. ;)

Some Day is Right Now said...

I've gotta say I'm not a fan of that brown shoe/boot. It's the way the "heel" is: reminds me of a horse's hoof! LOL

Of course my dislike of them may stem back to the fact that Lady Gaga wears those ridiculously tall ones. She looks like a "my little pony" gone horribly wrong. ;-)

xoxo
Mom

Kelly Olexa said...

I'm not normally into the shoe/boots with open toes, but I do love those beige/tan ones you feature here. OMG!!
I purchased some really hot boots and would love to lose enough weight that I'd feel good wearing them with black legging-pants. I say legging-pants because it frightens me to think about just leggings. I've seen some tights disguised as leggings on some people and it was terrifying.

Kelly Olexa said...

I'm not normally into the shoe/boots with open toes, but I do love those beige/tan ones you feature here. OMG!!
I purchased some really hot boots and would love to lose enough weight that I'd feel good wearing them with black legging-pants. I say legging-pants because it frightens me to think about just leggings. I've seen some tights disguised as leggings on some people and it was terrifying.

Nancy said...

I've gotta say I'm not a fan of that brown shoe/boot. It's the way the "heel" is: reminds me of a horse's hoof! LOL

Of course my dislike of them may stem back to the fact that Lady Gaga wears those ridiculously tall ones. She looks like a "my little pony" gone horribly wrong. ;-)

xoxo
Mom

hbobier said...

LOVE those brown boots. You pick such statement pieces, I'm so jealous. My shoes (boots especially) are so boring.

As for my trends, I rock the leggings/tunic/boots look pretty much every day. I love that my office allows for that type of nonsense. :)