Friday, April 8, 2011

Spice Organization Redux, Casserole Mania, New Asian-Inspired Recipe

Well you bloggies sure know how to make a girl feel better! I'm not the only person whose fallen recently, and some of you had some really bad falls. A concussion?! OMG No complaining on my end from here on out - eek! On another note - HAPPY FRIDAY! I'm so glad. So very glad. Before chatting about the weekend, here's what went on yesterday!

So I had purchaed my spice jars, labeled them and reorganized the kitchen. Oh happy day. However, I was still having a hard time finding what I needed. Especially because all of the jars were the same. It was like my organization had turned on me. Then I discovered that the height of the jars was PERFECT for the drawers- like made for them. Perhaps they were? Anywho, so I reorganized again taking large spoons/spatulas out of a drawer and getting a container on the counter for them, which freed up space in a drawer right next to the stove where I need the spices the most. However, they now needed labels on TOP, not just on the side. So me and my new best friend that truly brings out my OCD like no other label maker got to work - here are the results!

The magic is in the left drawer
See - love it. Have spice jars and small containers for packets at arm's reach
Close up

As a refresher, here is the before:

And the other AFTER:
I cooked 5 recipes with the new organization system - bliss! I made 4 casseroles: Burrito Casserole, Spicy Spaghetti Pie, Brushetta Bake and Taco Pasta Casserole.
Taco Pasta Casserole close up
spicy spaghetti pie close up
Yes, in case you're wondering, Austin was out of town. This is what I do when I don't have my better half here - I go crazy. Clearly. haha Also, it was a rest day so no gym, no Austin = cooking + organization projects! Lastly, in addition to the 5 casseroles, I made a new Asian-inspired recipe - Hoisin Chicken Rice Bowls.

Hoisin Chicken Rice Bowls
Adapted from a Dinners for a Year and Beyond Recipe
Makes 4 Servings

Nutritional Information: 433 calories, 62 carbs, 6 fat grams and 33 protein grams.

While Austin didn't get to try it, I can vouch for it - YUMMY! Here's the recipe on Healthified Kitchen! Thankfully, Austin is back today - yay! I'll update the review once I know how it reheats and i'll add any of Austin's comments which, no offense to my cute sweet husband, are usually "it's gooood". When prompted, no but really, what do you like it about it? "The taste." Oy. Can't complain though - he eats everything I make happily! :)

Q: It's Friday - whatcha doing this weekend? We're staying around the house tonight, then tomorrow i'm going to body pump and to see my sis and Dane, and tomorrow night is book club - yay! Sunday is hopefully church and more home organization projects - I am in FULL spring cleaning/organizing mode.

Q: Do you have a recipe tester? If so, who is it? Mine is Austin - I halfway kid above, he's getting better at telling me more about what he likes or doesn't like. There are actually some recipes I haven't posted because he just really didn't like them (and I didn't either.... but I needed that confirmation!).

No comments: