Thursday, July 7, 2011

1 New Product, 1 New Recipe, 3 Easy Miles, 29 Years Old

So I HAVE to start out this post with an awesome new recipe we made earlier this week...
Inside Out Egg Roll Stirfry
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
Makes 4 Servings
Nutritional Information: 438 calories, 58 carbs, 8 fat grams and 29 protein grams.

This was unexpected! I'd never cooked with beef broth before, so to cook it into the rice and meat dish added a lot of flavor.It tastes just like an inside out egg roll. It had lots of sauce and if you'd replaced the rice with an egg roll wrapper, I swear it would have been an egg roll. The servings were large so it was super hearty. Check out the recipe at Healthified Kitchen!

And now for a quick Wednesday recap! It started out unexpectedly. As you may know, I have had to be VERY careful running due to my bursitis/fractured fibular sesamoid in my right foot. However, I want to so bad! So I've been mixing up my cardio (added in spin, stair climber, etc.) so i'm not just running when I do cardio. Well today I planned to do the longest run since i've been building. I had done 2.5 miles and I was going to go for 2.5 miles OR step it up and go for 2.75. Well the run just felt GREAT. I didn't want to stop. But I did. I stopped at 3 miles straight. I walked for .10 at 4 mph, then ran 3 miles at 6.3 mph, then walked (after taking this pic!) to get me to 3.25 miles in about 32 minutes - WOO. After that - the usual - shower time, work, work though lunch (again - boo), then home to the fam, and the kitchen to whip up some new recipes - I'm so obsessed! Outside of new recipes,  I've been munching on this bread.
Arnold/Oroweat sent me a loaf to sample and review - along with two recipes! 
We immediately made a simple sammy: hummus, lettuce, turkey, swiss and tomato.

Verdict? The bread is a winner. It's so much more filling than 'diet bread' - probably because it has 80 calories, 5 protein grams and 8 grams of whole grain per slice! As far as looks, the bread is like 'deli bread' - you know, rectangular, fancy bread instead of square. And it has a good texture (i.e. not too hard). We've since made it with PB&J (Austin says good!) and I made one with hummus, avocado, tomato and cucumber -  it was great! We waited a week later and made another sammy - bread still soft/fresh - winning! Please note: while I did get a free sample my review/opinion was mine - good or bad. Thankfully, I can report that it was good! Thanks, Arnold!

Last but not least, I turned 29 today. 7/7/82 was officially 29 years ago. OY. I'm looking forward to a celebration with family tonight, one with friends tomorrow,and then a week in California beginning Tuesday - WOO. I will NOT get maudlin this year. :)

Q: What's your favorite thing to do on your birthday?!

Q: What's your favorite brand when it comes to sliced bread? I usually go for Arnold sandwich thins or  nature's own bread - but i'm definitely converting. I checked and my Publix carries this - sweet.

Q: Have you ever cooked with cabbage? What is your favorite thing to make with it? This was my first time and I have half a head to use - any suggestions would be welcome (I HATE to waste food!). 

No comments: