Thursday, August 18, 2011

100-Calorie Pesto, Sundays at Tiffany's Review

Hello! I hope you all had a good Wednesday! Mine was pretty good and i'm working from home today so i'm already PUMPED about not commuting - yesssss. And I have a few things to share!

RECIPE: Yes, a Pesto!
As you guys know, Austin brought in a gallon of basil on Sunday which led to us making (and freezing!) a lot of pesto. Instead of making all classic pestos, we mixed it up and tried different ones! Here is one of the ones we made and LOVED.
Lemon Basil Almond Pesto
Adapted from Tastespace
Makes 4 Servings

Nutritional Information (with Chicken & Pasta): 418 calories, 46 carbs, 11 fat grams and 36 protein grams.
Nutritional Information (pesto only): 94 calories, 4 carbs, 9 fat grams and 3 protein grams.

Awesome. I'm a huge fan of lemon and basil anyway, so knew this would be a favorite. I was intrigued at using the almonds instead of the pinenuts, but it gave it a sweeter, nuttier flavor. I liked it a lot! This was more of a lime green than a deep green, but of course I could have added more basil. That's kind of the beauty of making your own pesto - you can add more amounts of low-calorie or no-calorie ingredients like lemon juice and basil to make it your own. We tasted as we made it (with cooked noodles - just dipped them into the blender). So while this recipe worked for us you can always mix it up! Check out the recipe at  Healthified Kitchen!

BOOK REVIEW
So yesterday I finished James Patterson's Sundays at Tiffany's. You guys! It was so cute. I loved it. While it did have a little bit of mystery in it, it was very much a cute, chick lit story about a girl whose childhood imaginary friend revisits her later in life. It explores this girl's upbringing, relationship with her mother, occupation, etc., but of course it gets super cute/exciting when you learn about what she's been up to, what he is, and they're just so sweet together. I'm a huge fan and hope to see the Lifetime movie made from it - yes, it's that kind of book! I give it a 4.5/5 - great book for what it was - a cute chick lit book that still managed to have a few twists and enough intrigue to keep me engaged. Dare I say it was one of my favorite little books?! Great beach read, too!

Now I've started James Patterson's Cross Country - seems good so far!

Q: How was your Wednesday?!  Mine was pretty good - a trip to the gym before work, a trip to the library and Trader Joe's during lunch, and in PJs by 6 - yesssssss. We watched the King's Speech - pretty good!


Q: What are you up to today? I'm contemplating the gym, but mostly it's work, work, work, then more cooking of course. :)

1 comment:

Blogger said...

There's an amazing new opportunity that is now available online.

Large companies are paying people for simply giving their opinions!

You can earn up to $75 per each survey!

This is available to anybody in the world!