|Silly face! This adorable bean is of course worth any kind of weight gain!|
So, weight... here is a run-down of how this all worked out. Long story short, as of this morning, I've lost 36 pounds since the day I manned up and got on the scale, Monday, February 11, two weeks ago. Here goes a weird story:
- In May, I was weighing around 120 - 123. Not quite at happy weight (115), but not to freak-out-and-do-something-about-it-weight, 125. We went to a week-long Mexico all-inclusive trip. I got home weighing 128. I also arrived back in the States pregnant.
- Throughout my pregnancy, I managed to go from 128 to 169. I weighed 169 the day I went in to the hospital, so a weight gain of 41 pounds. Not the "30 - 35" I had in mind, but whatever! I deserved every pound - lots of extra sweets and dinners out, and doing anything comfort-wise to make myself feel better (mac & cheese every day, anyone?)
- So, on Friday, February 8, I weighed 169. I ended up having an epidural in for 10 hours longer than expected. Yes, 10. Body wouldn't dilate, Beckett wouldn't cooperate, I got a fever, her heart rate went up - at the end of the day I was on an epidural for 15 hours. They said there would be swelling and I may leave the hospital weighing more than when I'd arrived. What?!
- The next day I didn't recognize myself. I was incredibly swollen! Like could barely walk on my feet as they were huge, Shrek-like and my ankles were as wide as my thighs. I still don't know how my brother-in-law was able to get photos that I love and work around the fact that I was kinda freaked out by the size of my body!
- When I got home, on Monday, February 11, I found that I weighed 185. Even though i'd had a baby, delivered after birth, etc., I GAINED 16 pounds. No need to freak out... they said the swelling would go down in 2 weeks.
- The first week nothing happened. I stayed around 185 and started to think something was wrong. Then, I had 'Elevation Day' on Monday, February 18, where I essentially stayed in bed all day with my feet up. I lost like 7 pounds. The rest of the week, until today, I lost about 5 pounds a day, shrinking right before me and Austin's eyes!
- Today, I weighed in at 149. 36 Pounds less than the day I left the hospital, 20 pounds less then the day I arrived at the hospital. All in all, this is a normal post-partum weight loss! With the exception of gaining 30+ pounds of water weight.
So as of today, to get back to 125, I've got 24 pounds to lose. To get to 120 (goal weight) I have 29 pounds to lose. Hopefully I can start walking soon, and on March 18, I'll have my post-partum six-week check-in and will find out if I can start lifting, running, etc. In the meantime, I've got a few more weeks of not worrying about this body and just worrying about little Beckett!! No, I don't really have pictures because it was kind of scary, invisible friends! I DO have some ankle pictures as I would text my mom progress (she was really freaked out for me!).
They're still a little swollen, especially at the ankle, but I can get back in to several of my boots which is good per the aforementioned cold weather.
So that's that - 36 pounds in two weeks. Here's hoping I continue on a weight loss trajectory, albeit a normal one that keeps my calories up so I can make plenty of milk for little Beckett!!
Q: Have you ever seen swelling like this? I mean really - I've shown lots of peeps and they seem so fascinated + disturbed that it has to be their first time seeing this business.
Q: Have a post-partum weight story? I'd say weight loss... but mine is a Weight Gain + Loss story. haha
In other news, all is going wonderful with Miss Beckett. I love her. I love being a mom. I love spending time with her while attempting each day to figure this thing out. It's better than I thought it would be, less scary, more fun, very emotional but worth it. More later - hope you're all having happy Mondays!! :)