Tuesday, July 2, 2013

5 Steps to Take Advantage of Amazon Subscribe & Save

So I came to blogger today to do my monthly assessment, but was feeling super passionate about my new love for Amazon Subscribe & Save and decided to write about it instead! LOL So assessment tomorrow, and for now here is some info on how we're saving money with Amazon!

We have been Amazon Prime members for years, and when I was pregnant I became a member of Amazon mom for free as I heard that it was way worth it for diapers and wipes. Since then, I've began looking into Amazon Subscribe & Save in hopes of saving money and in making grocery trips easier (since I now take Beckett, the less I have to pick up the easier the trips would be!). With the program, you basically automate non-perishable items that can be delivered to your home as frequently as once a month. I now LOVE the program for two main reasons:

1. Convenience. I don't have to go to the store. Duh. How nice is it to have awkwardly bulky items sent to my door step each month? Very. I am now subscribing to the following:

For Family:
  • Batteries 
  • Pasta (barilla)
  • Larabars
  • Clif Bars
  • Toilet Paper 
  • Trash bags 
  • Laundry Detergent 
For Baby:
  • Diaper Genie Refills
  • Diapers
  • Wipes
  • Formula
For Pets:
  • Dogfood
  • Angel Eyes
  • Pill Pockets
I tried to do paper towels and coffee, but they were more expensive (even with the 20% off). And they don't have our brand of shampoo, conditioner, razors, deodorant, etc.
Part of our July order that came in this past weekend!
2. Cost. Seriously. It's SUCH a savings. Recent example: I go to Petco with a $4 coupon. The dog's 15.5 pound bag of food is $32.99, with coupon, I walk away spending $31.30 after tax.

On Amazon, I get this same bag delivered to my door for $22.67.
SO much cheaper.  And delivered. No coupon, trip to store, etc. Note about cost: you do have to be an Amazon Prime member first. I believe it's $80 a year. We were already members for free two-day shipping, and we like the Amazon Prime video, I use it for my Kindle, etc.

5 Steps to Take Advantage of Amazon Subscribe & Save

Goal: Having FIVE or more subscriptions a month to get 20% off your whole order. Without this, it's about the same cost, but you still get the convenience. But with it, you get some serious savings.

  1. Make a list of everything that you buy regularly (e.g., toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags, batteries, etc.). Check old grocery lists, favorite recipe ingredients, your bathroom cabinet, pantry and old receipts!
  2. Visit Amazon and search to see if these items are available for the subscribe and save program.
  3. Go to your store of choice (Publix, Wal-Mart, whatever) and record the prices. Write them down, or take pictures!
  4. Review all products that show a savings, and see if you have at least 5 or more that you need each month. If so - order! I get my big shipment on the 1st of each month delivered to my door.
  5. Set a monthly reminder (on your Google Calendar or what not) to manage your subscriptions - you can skip deliveries, add more, etc. to ensure that you have 5 subscriptions/products to get the 20% off and to ensure that you're not getting things you don't need. Note: you're not trying to be a hoarder here, just trying to get what you need/already use delivered when you need it - things you would go to the store and buy anyway -nothing new! Do NOT 'shop' the Amazon subscribe and save store - shop your receipt, pantry, etc. and go from there!
Read more about the program here! And about Amazon Mom to save 20%. 

Q: If you're already using it, what are you subscribing too? Do you love it?!

No comments: