Thursday, September 12, 2013

Fall TV Talk: 12 New Shows I'll Be Trying Out

It's time again to get all excited for Fall TV! Ultimately, I end up disappointed and liking very, very few shows but hey, still gotta start out optimistic! Last September, I went into the season interested in these 13 shows... here is how they fared:
  1. 1600 Penn: nope, just didn't think it was funny even though I tried for several episodes. CANCELLED
  2. Beauty and the Beast: I kind of halfway watch it in the background while doing other things - it's just not very good even though I want it to be. RENEWED, but I don't care.
  3. The Carrie Diaries: I REALLY liked this little show - super cute. Never missed an episode and enjoyed it. RENEWED
  4. Elementary: Me and Austin both liked this modern-day Sherlock with Lucy Liu. RENEWED
  5. Emily Owens, M.D.:  Nope, didn't work for me. Too slow and silly. CANCELLED
  6. Go On: Nope, nothing. CANCELLED
  7. The Goodwin Games: Nope - way too silly. CANCELLED
  8. Made in Jersey: By the time I got around to watching it it had already been canceled so I've yet to see an episode. CANCELLED
  9. Mistresses: I'm watching this now since it didn't come out until the summer - I'm in! RENEWED I think - I don't know that it's super firm yet
  10. The Mob Doctor: Watched this regularly and Austin did, too - not sure what happened- kinda fell off the face of the earth? CANCELLED
  11. Nashville: Love it, probably my favorite new show! RENEWED
  12. Revolution: Sounded like a good post-apocalyptic tale so naturally, I was in, but I didn't like it and found most of the main characters unbearable. Boo. RENEWED, but I don't care.
  13. Zero Hour: Just couldn't get into it at all. CANCELLED
So after all that, I only ended up with four new shows: The Carrie Diaries, Elementary, Mistresses and Nashville. Don't worry about me though (haha)  - I still have several other shows that weren't new last year but that have been renewed, including: Hart of Dixie, Law & Order SVU, Parenthood, Scandal, Grey's Anatomy, Revenge, Once Upon a Time, Castle, Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, The Good Wife, Glee, New Girl, The Mindy Project, and MasterChef. Not to mention non-network shows. Yes, yes, my plate is full.
And the new shows I'll be trying out:

1. Betrayal: It sounds like a soapy, twisty mystery and it follows Revenge so why not give it a whirl?
2. The Blacklist: James Spader pretty much sells it for me. He'll play a fugitive helping the FBI. Maybe one I can watch with Austin?
3. Brooklyn Nine Nine: Love Adam Sandberg who plays a cop in this comedy.
4. The Crazy Ones: It has Sarah Michelle Gellar and David E. Kelley is writing so I'll watch it - love supporting her even in that horrible show I've already forgotten the name of where she played evil twins a couple years back. In this one, she'll play Robin Williams' level-headed daughter at an advertising agency is one of my favorite cities - Chicago!
5. MasterChef Junior: You know it! Love the adult show so why wouldn't I love kids in the kitchen? The commercials are already cracking me up with Gordon screaming at kids to "step it up."
Junior Masterchef
6. Witches of East End: Witches? Charmed-esque? You got me. I'm in.... for at least 2 episodes. 
7. Trophy Wife: I kind of didn't like the main actress, Malin Akerman, in 27 Dresses, but I love Bradley Whitford (West Wing!) and it looks like it could be funny (e.g., her dealing with his two ex-wives and three children).
8. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland: An Alice in Wonderland based Once Upon a Time spinoff? Sure, why not? 
9. Mom: I love Anna Faris who plays a recovering alcoholic/single mom as well as Allison Janney (West Wing, again!) who plays her overbearing mom.
image
10. The Michael J. Fox Show: Well, I love the actor and since the title indicates it will be about him I'll be watching!
11. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: An avengers story by Joss Whedon (Buffy!)? Yes, yes. May even get to watch with Austin.
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
12. Almost Human: A futuristic crime drama by JJ Abrams? I have to try it, right? It basically pairs up humans with droids to fight crime.

Not gonna lie... i'm not super excited about this line up. BUT, I'll be a good sport/American/consumer and try them out.

And now, it’s time to say RIP to four of my shows that will be no longer: 9010, Smash, Private Practice, and Gossip Girl. All ended by choice, well except for Smash. I'm going to miss that show and honestly thought that it was popular? Apparently only on my DVR - eek! I'm going to miss Private Practice and Gossip the most - thank gosh I can still rewatch on Netflix!

Q: What are you going to watch this fall?

Q: Any of your favorite shows being cancelled?!

No comments: